Friday, January 25, 2013

Do you really want to ask me questions? Because it often turns into a rant. Really. It does. This is your warning.

Hello folks,

So... for those of you who don't know, my name's Julie. I am a libra. I enjoy long sprees of browsing on my laptop and....

Oh, wait. Not where I was intending to go with that.

Anyway, during break I visited my alma mater, Hogwarts, with some of my fellow alumni. By which I mean, my friends and I visited Harry Potter's Wizarding World in Orlando for the first time and did, indeed, dress in our Hogwarts robes, because we are all wonderfully gigantic nerds. I, of course, was a Slytherin; another of my friends a Gryffindor, and another was a Ravenclaw. Our two other friends did not wear full robes, but did wear Slytherin scarfs. Everywhere we went people asked where our Hufflepuff was. We casually mentioned something about an unfortunate accident that we had no part in (we don't actually have a Hufflepuff, or at least, not one who could attend with us). 

(Here's a pic of me stupefying one of my friends. I was dueling for my honor. I had no choice.)

 

Another large portion of my break was consumed by marathoning Teen Wolf with my friend/s and then recing fanfictions to each other. Because, yes, apparently that is what I do. But it was sort of a way of socializing! We did, you know, read together (literally, all of us hunched over a single screen in our hotel room in Orlando) and chat about our readings. It was like a book club. Sort of.

Moving on. Even before becoming a Women's Study minor I wanted to take this class because it sounded fascinating. In fact, it falls directly into my line of interest. My central focus in regard to my major (Sociology) is gender (and race and sexual identity/orientation) and the media; in fact, for my directed study I am studying gender and racial/ethnic depictions in DC comic books. So this class actually metaphorically kills two birds with one stone (metaphorically, I emphasize, 'cause I don't, you know, actually kill birds. Ew).

When I'm not in class or working on various projects, I read (recreationally, books, fanfiction, and comic books), talk to my friends, and interact with various other family members and friends. I also cashier at Walmart (-groan-) on the weekend, despite it being a powerhouse of capitalist greed and a representation of what I consider one of the major flaws of our country. And, yes, this whining does transfer over to my work when I'm actually cashiering, because I have zero qualms about informing my customers of my opinion on the subject, nor of indicating that, as it is merely a job to put me through college, that I do heavily criticize the corporation. My store, however, is not evil on an individual basis; the people who work there are perfectly friendly, kind people. Simply that it is a part of a much larger, much more corrupt enterprise. Alone it is fine, but because there are many it is simply too powerful.

So... that turned into a rant. Oops. Warning: never let me spiel about anything. It turns out like this, basically every time. It's not pretty.

And now you're semi-introduced to me. I look forward to getting to know everybody! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yo Julie!
    Are you on Pottermore?

    :D

    #geeking

    -CK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssssss, though I don't go on nearly as often as I should. My username is SkyPhoenix13644. Slytherin house, FTW! =D

      Delete